Louis Brown Athletic CenterRutgers Scarlet Knights
The Louis Brown Athletic Center, more commonly known as the RAC (for its original name, the Rutgers Athletic Center), is an 8,000-seat multipurpose arena in Piscataway, New Jersey on Rutgers University's Livingston Campus. The building is shaped like a truncated tent with trapezoidal sides on the north and south ends. It is home to the men's and women's Rutgers Scarlet Knights basketball teams of the Big Ten Conference. Previously, the University used the 3,200-seat College Avenue Gym from 1931 to 1977. The RAC is renowned for being one of the loudest arenas in college basketball when at maximum capacity. The trapezoidal design of the building allows the crowd noise to resonate, creating a deafening environment. The RAC has even been described as being "louder than a 747 at Newark Airport." ESPN's Jay Bilas has lauded the RAC, saying, "The Scarlet Knights play great there, and the crowd is right on top of you and intimidating." Former opponents have also extolled the RAC's atmosphere. Former Connecticut Guard Ben Gordon said, “It is very difficult at the RAC. They have a great home crowd. The student body and everybody really comes out to support them. Just the way the gym is shaped, it seems like everybody is on top of you. At times, if you're not focused, you can get lost in the game just by how intense the crowd is."
08-22-2014 Fri Hi 94°F
08-23-2014 Sat Hi 81°F
08-24-2014 Sun Hi 83°F
08-25-2014 Mon Hi 82°F
Lo 62°FWeather Powered by World Weather Online
The arena opened on November 30, 1977 with a win against rival Seton Hall. The arena was known as the Rutgers Athletic Center until 1986, when it was renamed for Louis Brown, a Rutgers graduate and former member of the varsity golf team, who made a large bequest to the University in his will. Despite the name change, the building is still largely referred to as "The RAC" (pronounced "rack") by students, alumni, fans, and players.
- No event is scheduled here.
- Men's Basketball: Rutgers Announces 2014-15 Men’s Basketball Schedule
- Women's Basketball: Rutgers Women’s Basketball Inaugural B1G Schedule Unveiled
- Football: Rutgers Bracing for Latest NFL Stadium Experience
- Women's Soccer: O'Neill Ready for First Season at Helm
- Women's Soccer: Women’s Soccer Opens Season at Home vs. Stony Brook, Vanderbilt
- Field Hockey: Wright, Staab, Bull named B1G Players to Watch
- Women's Track: Incoming Scarlet Knight Lauded By Hometown
- Men's Lacrosse: Men’s Lacrosse Adds Bernhardt as Assistant Coach
- Men's Basketball: Q&A With Men’s Basketball Assistant Coach Mike O’Koren
- Women's Soccer: Rutgers Women’s Soccer Newcomer Series: GK Bree Benedict