Louis Brown Athletic CenterRutgers Scarlet Knights
The Louis Brown Athletic Center, more commonly known as the RAC (for its original name, the Rutgers Athletic Center), is an 8,000-seat multipurpose arena in Piscataway, New Jersey on Rutgers University's Livingston Campus. The building is shaped like a truncated tent with trapezoidal sides on the north and south ends. It is home to the men's and women's Rutgers Scarlet Knights basketball teams. Previously, the University used the 3,200-seat College Avenue Gym from 1931 to 1977.
The RAC is renowned for being one of the loudest arenas in college basketball when at maximum capacity. The trapezoidal design of the building allows the crowd noise to resonate, creating a deafening environment. The RAC has even been described as being "louder than a 747 at Newark Airport."
ESPN's Jay Bilas has lauded the RAC, saying, "The Scarlet Knights play great there, and the crowd is right on top of you and intimidating."
Former opponents have also extolled the RAC's atmosphere. Former Connecticut Guard Ben Gordon said, “It is very difficult at the RAC. They have a great home crowd. The student body and everybody really comes out to support them. Just the way the gym is shaped, it seems like everybody is on top of you. At times, if you're not focused, you can get lost in the game just by how intense the crowd is."
Former Syracuse forward Hakim Warrick notes that "they (the fans) are definitely some of the best fans on the road that I’ve played against. It’s crazy how much they love their team. The way the gym is made, it’s just made to keep the noise in. It’s loud and crazy down there.”
The arena opened on November 30, 1977 with a win against rival Seton Hall.
The arena was known as the Rutgers Athletic Center until 1986, when it was renamed for Louis Brown, a Rutgers graduate and former member of the varsity golf team, who made a large bequest to the University in his will. Despite the name change, the building is still largely referred to as "The RAC" (pronounced "rack") by students, alumni, fans, and players.Advertisement:
- Louis Brown Athletic Center
Hospital Rd and Joyce Kilmer Ave Piscataway, NJ 08854
Call at (732) 878-0139
- Rutgers University
- Rutgers Athletic Center
- Wrestling: Wrestling Wraps up Day One at Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite
- Men's Track: Men's Indoor Track Kicks Off Season At New Year's Invitational
- Women's Track: Women's Indoor Track Kicks Off Season At New Year's Invitational
- Men's Lacrosse: Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Tickets Now on Sale
- Swimming and Diving: RU Swimming and Diving Heads to Boston
- Women's Lacrosse: Rutgers WLAX Tickets Now on Sale
- Men's Basketball: RU Hosts Rival Seton Hall Sunday Night in Annual Turnpike Tussle
- Women's Basketball: Essence Carson Autograph Signing Among the Latest Women’s Basketball Promotions
- Wrestling: Scarlet Knights Compete in 32nd Annual Las Vegas Cliff Keen Invite
- Men's Basketball: Rutgers Men's Basketball Falls at George Washington, 93-87