Beaver StadiumPenn State Nittany Lions
JoePa Statue removed from outside Beaver Stadium
Posted July 23, 2012A construction crew took down the iconic statue...Read More...
07-24-2014 Thu Hi 95°F
07-25-2014 Fri Hi 94°F
07-26-2014 Sat Hi 91°F
07-27-2014 Sun Hi 97°F
Lo 76°FWeather Powered by World Weather Online
The stadium opened in 1960 with construction costs of $1.6 million. The stadium has been expanded six times, reflecting Penn State's rise to national prominence under former coach Joe Paterno--more than doubling in size in the process. Expansions in 1972 brought capacity to 57,538. Another expansion in 1976 increased capacity to 60,203. In 1978, 16,000 seats were added when the stadium was cut into sections and raised on hydraulic lifts, allowing the insertion of seating along the inner ring of the stadium where the track had previously been located, raising capacity to 76,639. In 1980, maximum capacity increased to 83,770. In 1985, walkways were added around the tops of the end zones and entry ramps at the stadium's corners resulted in lowering the capacity to 83,370. An expansion was completed for the 1991 football season, placing an upper deck addition over the north end zone and raising capacity to 93,967. A major and somewhat controversial construction project took place in 2001, raising the stadium's total capacity to 107,282. An upper deck was added to the south end of the stadium, blocking the view of neighboring Nittany Mountain, which had sentimental value for some fans. The upper deck addition makes Beaver Stadium the second largest stadium in nation, behind Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, MI.
Stadium Lots - General
Downtown and South Atherton Lots - General
- No event is scheduled here.
- Penn State Football news
- Nittany Lions Deliver Positive Attitude at Hershey Children's Hospital
- Howle and Urschel Selected to National Football Foundation's Hampshire Honor Society
- Hull Leads Five Nittany Lions on Athlon Sports' Pre-season All-Big Ten Teams
- Penn State Adds Games with Georgia State and Kent State
- Belton and Zwinak Named to Doak Walker Watch List
- Penn State-Akron Home Opener Set for Noon Kick
- Hackenberg Among Elite Quarterbacks on O'Brien Watch List
- Butkus Award Adds Hull to Preseason Watch List
- Penn State Uplifting Athletes "Lift For Life" Again Breaks Record With $140,000 To Benefit Kidney Cancer Association
JoePa Statue removed from outside Beaver Stadium2012-07-23 11:33:41
A construction crew took down the iconic statue...Read More...
- All items are subject to search
- Permitted - Small digital cameras only
- Permitted - Smaller than 8-1/2" x 11" x 11"